When designing a web site it is important to keep the web site’s conversion rate (the number of visitors that become subscribers, buyers or members) in mind. There are many design elements that have a large impact on conversion rates. Some of the things that a web designer can do to help improve a web site’s conversion rate is:
- Minimize the amount of options you give your users – Through extensive research many web developers have found that the more options a web site has the less click through’s and conversion rate there is. Breaking your web site down into 3 – 6 main categories can improve a web sites conversion rate a significant amount.
- Keep a clean and clutter free design – Clutter tends to confuse and irritate the majority of users, dropping conversion rates dramatically.
- Make sure you have a good color scheme – When designing a web site it is important that you choose a color scheme that is easy on the eyes. Web sites that use color schemes that are to dark, to bright or just do not match at all tend to have a low conversion rate.
- Use the most known and common terms in your web site navigation – If there are any options in your web site navigation that maybe questionable to any of your users do what you can to come up with a more common and known term that relates or exclude that option.
- Direct your users – When designing your web site you want to make sure that your signup buttons, member login, free quote buttons etc. are positioned properly and have the most dominate color in your color scheme. Make sure you always give your users a place to go, it’s surprising how many dead end web pages there are on the web.li>
- Do not use scrolling or flashing text adds and banners – Flashing and scrolling text adds and banners tend to look like spam and irritate users. The “in your face” type of advertising tends to drop conversion rates dramatically.
Some of the smallest things can make or break your web sites conversion rates. The best way to come up with what works best for your web site is to analyze your traffic with a good web analytics program. WI Works, Inc. uses some of the web’s most advanced and reliable web analytic programs available and have many years of experience in improving conversion rates.