Keeping a blog on your website serves two very important purposes: first, it provides useful information about both your field and your business to your existing and potential customers while also providing a forum for back-and-forth communication with your visitors. Secondly, if written correctly, it will help you in your SEO efforts and help improve your search engine results page rankings.
There really IS such a thing as a poorly-written blog, and whether your blogs are good or not depend on much more than just whether you have decent grammar skills. WIworks is a Utah web design company that specializes in helping businesses large and small make the most out of their blog page.
Here are our 10 quick tips for success.
1. Don’t be overly promotional: Though your entries should always include one or two references to your company, being too focused on YOU will turn off readers and send them elsewhere.
2. Make sure your title is keyword-rich: When search engine crawlers read your blog’s content, the first place it will check is your H2 header. So put your important keywords front and center right from the start.
3. Make your title specific: Overgeneralization in a title will not help your readers know what your topic is right from the get-go. Keep your title short and sweet and absolutely clear. Note: people love titles that refer to a numbered list (see our title to this blog above).
4. Your content should be interesting: Make every effort to create something totally original and completely relevant to what’s happening NOW in your industry. Draw on current events as much as possible.
5. Talk to your reader: Use “you” and “your” a lot to draw your audience in and help them see how the topic relates to them personally. Speak in the language of your target audience at all times or you’ll lose them. Common sense tip of the day: make it interesting and fun, and your entry will attract more readers!
6. Grammar matters: Most readers know misspellings and other grammar mistakes when they see them. Text that is full of mistakes will decrease your credibility with your audience. Period.
7. Hire out if necessary: If you are not good at writing (and not too many of us are, frankly), hire an SEO firm like WIworks that employs professional content writers. All you have to do is feed the company topic suggestions or articles about what’s hot in your industry right now, and let the pros take it from there.
8. Use the right keyword density: Major search engine crawlers are “smart,” and will blackball blog entries that contain a disproportionate number of keywords. A good rule of thumb is you want to keep keyword density at about 4% of your total number of words.
9. Include your most important keyword or phrase in the opening and closing paragraphs for added emphasis.
10. Have fun!
SEO blogs are a great tool to help get your site noticed on a crowded information superhighway: make the most of it!